Monday, August 23, 2010

Things to NOT say to Someone with Infertility

1. Just relax it will happen in God's time, when you least expect it, in due time, when the time is right, after you quit trying.
2. Have you tried taking your temperature?
3. Have you used those Pee sticks that tell you when to do it?
4. Don't worry about it, enjoy your time being a non-parent, believe me when it happens you will wish you didn't try to hurry so much.
5. Really you are going thru shots and stuff to have a baby? Why not just adopt?
6. I have this book you should read.
7. After you go thru all of this Dr. stuff you are just going to magically get pregnant.
8. I heard that if you have sex every other day you will get pregnant.
9. Did you eat pineapple? Drink Tea? Take vitamins? Take fertility vitamins and gook.
10. I heard those fertility shots jump start your reproductive system, you are going to have babies for years to come.
11. I didn't have to try, in fact all I did was get drunk and here is little one. Did you try getting drunk?
12. I hear that if you have sex with your pants open on the end of the bed...
13. Try it drunk and in the back seat of the car, that's how the teenagers do it.
14. Well maybe if you wouldn't have waited so long to try.
15. This fertility stuff, aren't you going to end up like Jon and Kate plus 8. I bet you get 6 in there.
16. My Grandmother says, my aunt says, the wartman says...do it on your head.
17. Did you try laying on your back with your legs in the air? Did you stand on your head for 30 mins afterwards.
18. So what's wrong with you?
19. After this you are just going to end up pregnant without even trying.
20. Try adopting, everyone gets pregnant after adopting.

Really there is so much more but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Infertility sucks. On all ends of the spectrum. Weather is a diagnosis of what condition you have or whether its unexplained infertility. Yes I know that people do IVF and then after having the baby magically end up pregnant with no help. Most of those people have unexplained infertility. I on the other hand, like so many other women, have it explained to me. I know what's wrong with me. The likely hood that this would have happened on my own is so out there I don't even think the Dr. can tell me what the odds are.
If someone around you is going thru this, be an ear, lend a shoulder to cry on, sympathize. I know its all we talk about, I know it consumes our lives...but we want this child more than anything and will do what it takes to get there. Its not that I can't carry a child, its that my body doesn't allow me to make one on my own. I thank God for the knowledge and expertise of our Doctors. I can't imagine being told I could never had a biological child of my own. And yes we would have adopted, but thankfully we were given this opportunity to have a blood relation. And you never know what our future holds for other children. No matter how they may come into our lives.

Other than that. I am feeling pretty good. Hungry more often but still eating small meals. Going home to cook tonight. I need real food and not food out to eat. Some crawfish tetrizzini, shrimp and tasso pasta with a cream sauce, Spaghetti and meatballs with red gravy and steak and potatoes with creamed spinach...that is the menu for the week. Nom nom nom says The TapeWorm!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

: )

Jen-Nay said...

or just because it worked for so and so doesn't mean it will work for you... :0( you should just adopt because your so much worse off.... blah blah blah

Mrs. Fluffy said...

i agree, i hear these all of the time. we have tried so hard and after three miscarries, it feels like it will never happen. i love hearing about friends having babies and then i go home and cry to my husband because we want a child so bad... and when others tell us things like that it makes it harder...

Andie said...

I wish I could share this post across bogland and on Facebook crysti because I KNOW! When we did the whole adoption process everyone would tell me all of these things. And I am one of those one in a million cases that got pregnant eventually but I hate when people give egr unsolicited thoughts on infertility, adoption, or fertilitity treatments.

Sorry... I found this blog post from way back! Lol